This was the episode that we recorded 1.5 hours of content for only to lose half of it to some sort of repeatable microphone driver setting in our recording software. We included some of our content that wasn't hosed up in the outtakes. The first outtake is what our first try at S2E6 sounded like. For an hour.
Our Top 10 list of Worst Character Concepts headlines the podcast, all inspired by actual characters we've had to DM at our tables. (False.)
- The ID DM's series No Assembly Required at http://theiddm.wordpress.com
- Don't miss Chad's Orcus 3:16 joke. Begin the engines of Photoshop now.
- We also mention that DND5 is coming out as a sidenote. It's like two years away people. Stop arguing. Muy unexcite.
- Thanks for the #FF's. Sorry for the deception about the Fondus Fellatigellinate stuff.
A summary of our tips on prepping and running a Delve. Listen to the whole podcast for more, and for lots of ideas on how to explore the Delve as a one-night gaming concept.
- The Three M's of a Delve: map, monsters, mechanic
- The map - make sure you use diverse terrain to open up melee and ranged characters.
- The monsters - reskin, use minions, use variety
- The mechanic - prevents everyone from just doing math and allowing creativity.
- Be sure to give opportunity for every character type to succeed - so include an opportunity for the minion-sweeper but also for the ranger who specializes in focusing on one-target. Don't crowd the characters, have a varied map type.
- Beware of breeding dungeon crawlers - make sure they know that a Delve isn’t what DND is. DND is a highly social, interactive experience that is a lot more than pure combat.
- Failure in a campaign is story. Failure in a delve can be really frustrating.
- Take it easy on the role-playing with n00bs- that's why combat-only Delves are a great intro.
- Seasonal (Dark Kringle), news-related (Qaddafi) or the Roadhouse Delve are popular successes for William. (All in the high fantasy genre of course.)
- Tell a short story with the Delve.
- Combat-skill challenge-Combat instead of Combat x 3.
- Invite your players to describe things creatively, "more than a swing and a miss". Then say "yes, and."
- Insist players play something new. (You heard Michael email about this in the last episode.)
- Have confidence to pull this stuff off.
- Encounter: Circus/Zoo/Roadside show
- See also: the Last Unicorn, which IS REAL. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084237/
- Tee Shirt: Haldir Lives!
- Character Concept: The Haunted Pariah
- Player Tip: Powers are not Verbs. "I will Tide of Iron the orc" is bad.
- See also: beyondthestatblock.com
- DM tip: How to apply the Rhetoric of Humor as a DM: Relief, Incongruity, Superiority theories
Right-click and Save-As below:
Mirror 1 (128kbps) (Atlanta US) (60.9 mb)
Check us out on iTunes and give us some reviews and/or ratings and/or hurtful criticism!
What do you think?
Welcome all our new listeners to the family of ExemplaryDM! Give us reviews in the comments below, hit us up on Twitter @ExemplaryDM, or shoot us an email at exemplary d m at gmail dot com